Monday, February 18, 2013

Flipping the classroom - instructor's take

Flipping the classroom was a brand new concept to me before beginning research for our very first TTT. I forget which team member actually suggested using this topic originally, but whoever it was, I need to thank them. To me, flipping the classroom is.... one of many techniques I've learned already this semester that works well in theory and is definitely worth incorporating into an integrated approach to teaching that could be highly effective when planned well. Flipping obviously has the "commercial" appeal for students that are already used to watching videos on a daily basis, and some of the benefits outlined in Salman Kahn's TED talk (e.g., student's ability to rewatch parts of the lesson that they are struggling through without inconveniencing the teacher or the rest of the class) are logically sound arguments as to why it would be so effective. No technique is a cure-all / end-all / be-all though, and I loved reading about some scathing critiques of this method, as well as hearing insightful criticisms from my classmates during our discussion exercise. On closer inspection, it was pointed out that flipping isn't really all that different from long-used strategies like assigning a paper and using class time to discuss it. It's also not practical for certain classrooms if the technology isn't available for all students (e.g., low-income primary schools, or even across some college classes). Overall though, I see value in focusing more in-class time to guided activities dedicated to active learning, and flipping the classroom seems like an attractive and effective venue for developing these lessons, and I think it is definitely something I will experiment with in future instructor roles.

1 comment:

  1. I like how it seems that you have learned so much from this! I did as well and I enjoyed reading about your experience and comparing it to mine!

    ReplyDelete